8 apples, variety
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1. If you use different sealing rings for sweet vs. savory items, be sure to switch to your “sweet” ring.*
2. Add water to INSTANT POT inner pot.
3. Wash apples thoroughly. Remove core and roughly chop. Place in inner pot.
4. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrap insides out. Place beans and pod into pot.
5. Cut lemon in half, place cut sides up into pot.
6. Add all other ingredients to pot.
7. Secure lid in place > Turn valve to SEALING > Select MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK > Adjust time to 5 minutes > After 10 seconds display will read ON
8. When time has lapsed > QUICK RELEASE pressure by turning valve to VENTING > Remove lid away from you
9. Carefully remove the cloves, cinnamon stick, and vanilla pod and discard.
10. Carefully remove lemon and squeeze into the vessel that you will be storing the applesauce. Pick out all seeds and discard. Transfer lemon juice back to the pot with apples.
11. With an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Or carefully, transfer contents to a blender and blend until smooth. If a chunkier consistency is preferred, simply smash with a potato smasher or pulse in a food processor.
*The sealing ring has a tendency to absorb smells from strong ingredients such as onions, garlic, peppers, etc. Some people find this can affect sweet recipes adversely and prefer to use different rings for sweet and savory recipes.