2 cups VEGAN BEEF STOCK
1 cup lentils, brown or green
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TB dried oregano
1 TB CHILI POWDER MEDIUM
1/2 TB ITALIAN HERBS
1/2 TB basil
1/2 TB salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
8 oz (1 1/2 cups) macaroni noodles**
2 cups water
2 TB soy sauce or low sodium tamari
1 TB balsamic vinegar
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 TB tomato paste
1. Press SAUTÉ. Add onion to INSTANT POT inner pot. Sauté onion until softened. Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute.
2. Add remaining lentil ingredients. Secure lid in place > Turn valve to SEALING > Select MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK > Adjust time to 25 minutes* > After 10 seconds display will read ON
3. When time has lapsed > Allow for NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE > Wait until silver button on lid drops > Remove lid away from you
4. Remove lid and taste for doneness. If lentils are not fully cooked bring to pressure for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Add macaroni, water, soy, and balsamic and stir to combine.
6. Carefully layer diced tomatoes on top without stirring. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste on top of the diced tomatoes without stirring. You want to try and not get as much of the tomatoes to the bottom of the pan because they can scorch. We’ve never had that happen with this method.
7. Secure lid in place > Turn valve to SEALING > Press MANUAL > Press MINUS sign to modify time. Time will be determined on your pasta. Look at the standard cooking time on your pasta (example: 11-14 minutes), take the smaller number, divide by 2 and round down to the nearest whole number. In this above example you would set the machine for 5 minutes. We are using pasta with package instructions of 9-11 minutes, so we will be setting the machine for 4 minutes for slightly al dente noodles, or 5 minutes for softer noodles.
8. When time has lapsed > QUICK RELEASE pressure by turning valve to VENTING > Remove lid away from you
*Please note: lentils do not normally cook for such a long time. The acids in the suggested “beef” stock prolong the cooking times of legumes. If not using a stock with acids, consider cutting time significantly. 10 minutes for lentils should be sufficient.
**Brown rice pasta works well here.
NOTE: The Instant Pot manual does not suggest cooking pasta. We have successfully cooked this recipe several times according to the specific amounts and directions below. We do not recommend doubling this recipe. If the valve sputters too much when releasing pressure, close valve and wait a couple minutes before trying again.