1 package tempeh
1/2 cup BBQ SAUCE
1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
2 garlic cloves
3/8 oz. fresh ginger (less than 1/2 inch)
2 TB rice vinegar
2 TB balsamic vinegar
2 TB mirin
1 TB date syrup*
1 TB cornstarch
1 tsp white miso
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
*We used Date Lady brand. You can make your own syrup by blending soaked dates with water or sub dates
1. Steam tempeh. Suggested Instant Pot method: add 1 cup water to inner pot, place trivet in pot, place tempeh on trivet. Secure lid in place > Turn valve to SEALING > Select STEAM > Adjust time to 10 minutes > When time has lapsed > QUICK RELEASE pressure by turning valve to VENTING > Remove lid away from you.
2. While tempeh is steaming, add all other ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Carefully remove tempeh, slice thin.
4. Heat pan on stove over medium heat. Add thin layer of sauce to pan. Add tempeh in a single layer on pan. Add another layer of sauce on top of tempeh. When sauce begins to bubble, turn heat to low. Continue to simmer. Turn tempeh slices and add another layer of sauce. Continue adding sauce and simmering until tempeh is well coated with sauce.
5. Serve on a sandwich or as a main dish (with sides of grains and veggies) or in a Plant Bowl.